By virtue of Legal Notice 181 of 2018, the list of Special Designated Areas has been extended to now include the Southridge Development in Mellieha.
In terms of Chapter 246 of the Laws of Malta, the following table would need to be followed for the acquisition of immovable property in Malta:
|Maltese and EU Citizens – both with 5 years continuous residence in Malta||Maltese and EU Citizens – without 5 years continuous residence in Malta||Non-Maltese and Non-EU citizens|
|Primary Residence||No restrictions – No need to apply||No restrictions – No need to apply||Prior authorisation is required*|
|Secondary Residence or any other immovable property||No restrictions – No need to apply||Prior authorisation is required*||Prior authorisation is required*|
|Property in a Special Designated Area**||No prior authorisation is required and no limit||No prior authorisation is required and no limit||No prior authorisation is required and no limit|
|Immovable Property required for the person’s business activities’ or supply of services by such person||No prior authorisation is required and no limit||No prior authorisation is required and no limit||No permit granted unless required for an industrial or touristic project or as a contributor to the development of the economy of Malta|
*An AIP (Acquisition of Immovable Property) permit would need to be applied for where indicated.
An AIP permit will not be granted if applicant has already acquired immovable property in Malta – an exception however lies with ‘Special Designated Areas’.
The current Special Designated Areas are the following:
- Portomaso Development, St. Julian’s, Malta
- Portomaso Extension I, St Julian’s, Malta
- Cottonera Development, Cottonera, Malta
- Manoel Island / Tigne Point, Tigne/ Gzira, Malta
- Tas-Sellum Residence, Mellieha, Malta
- Madliena Village Complex, Malta
- Smartcity, Malta
- Fort Cambridge Zone, Tignè, Malta
- Ta’ Monita Residence, Marsascala, Malta
- Pender Place and Mercury House Site, Malta
- Metropolis Plaza, Gzira, Malta
- Fort Chambray, Ghajnsielem, Gozo
- Kempinski Residences, San Lawrenz, Gozo
- Pender Place and Mercury House Site, Extensions I, II, III, IV and V, Malta
- Vista Point, Marsalforn, Gozo
- Quad Business Towers, Mrieħel
- Southridge, Mellieħa
For further information about how GVZH Advocates can help you with your real estate legal requirements, kindly contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.